Are you interested in finding new uses for un-loved or damaged books?
Have you ever fancied having a go at making a hand fan?
Fan making is on the ‘Red List of Endangered Crafts’, at serious risk of no longer being practiced in the UK. During my artist residency at George Street Bookshop, Glossop, I want to share my love of books with my passion for making these beautiful, functional, art objects, through a series of drop-in workshops and an exhibition of fans made during the residency.
I will work with you to upcycle books, from the Bookshop or your own book collection. We’ll take books apart, fold pages, use covers for fan sticks, cut, collage, wrap, manipulate… Inspiration will come from the books themselves, plus origami and fan making techniques from history, and around the world.
Three of my residency days will focus on the Menopause, inviting you to share your own stories, responding to my fan collection or creating your own menopause fan.
All days 10am to 4.00pm (with short breaks) Days themed as follows:
- Tues 4th Oct, Manipulating paper. Taking apart books to use page paper and cover, investigating simple origami techniques, creating simple paper fan shapes to take home
- Sat 15th Oct, Connections. Investigating different ways to join paper; folding, gluing, pinning, stitching…
- Tues 18th Oct Imagery. Using favourite books as inspiration, investigating different ways to illustrate, eg. Collage, drawing, printing… To create a simple design for fan
- Sat 5th Nov Hot flushes and other Menopause symptom.. Lois will bring in her collection of fans and invite women to share their stories of the menopause, with the option of being recorded as part of a short artist film
- Fri 11th Nov Create your own hand fan for the menopause, or just for fun
- Tues 22nd Nov Hot flushes and other Menopause symptoms.. Lois will bring in her collection of fans and invite women to share their stories of the menopause, with the option of being recorded as part of a short artist film
- Sat 26th Nov Manipulating paper. Using book page paper, investigating simple origami techniques, creating simple paper fan shapes to take home
- Tues 13th Dec Creating and sharing take home creative packs.
One thought on “George Street Bookshop, Glossop, artist residency”